Thursday, June 09, 2005

We All Have Chiclets

In his book, Listen To Your Messages, Rabbi Frand related a story about a rabbi who helped a woman kasher her kitchen for the first time. When the rabbi arrived at her home he noticed a pack of non-kosher Chiclets laying out on a table and gently informed the woman that they would need to discard the Chiclets before they began. The woman adamantly refused and decided against kashering her kitchen. All because of Chiclets.

On this story Rabbi Frand commented, "We all have our Chiclets. We all have some reprehensible items we cling to so tightly that it seems as if our lives depend on them. But no matter what that something is, it can be done. We can give it up. We can change. The key to change is starting small."

The rationalizations and excuses I give why I need to hold on to my own "Chiclets" would probably sound ridiculous to an outsider. They continue to be little road blocks in my brain and hurdles that I am not ready to jump over at the present time.

G-d willing, one day I will be able to recognize these obstacles for what they truly are and overcome them.

--
(Cross Posted on
A Simple Jew)

3 comments:

Anshel's Wife said...

Thank you so much for your post. My life is full of Chiclets right now. Just when I throw one pack away, I find another one I've hidden away. Would you be willing to talk about what your Chiclets are? I'd be happy to have a discussion sharing struggles.

A Simple Jew said...

Thank you for your comment Yetta.

Perhaps I will elaborate about my "Chiclets" in a future post.

A Simple Jew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.