Sunday, June 19, 2005

Interdenominational Dialogue

Interdenominational dialogue is something that we lack, that is, there is not enough dialogue between the various branches of Judaism. Too much fingerpointing and whispering about this and that.

I hear Reform Jews badmouth the Orthodox and the Orthodox do the same to them. Frum friends tell me that they think that I am a good guy, but cannot understand why I would ever attend a Conservative shul. Haven't I heard that the movement is going to die, to just up and disappear one day. And then they thrown in comments like "If you are not going to be a Torah observant Jew why not be Reform, at least they do not pretend."

It is all kind of silly to me. Just what do they expect, that one day I am going to see through the same eyes they use, that one day I'll go BT.

And that is the thing, how many of my BT buddies go holy roller for a while, just go meshugah searching for a comfortable place for their own religiosity.

I have Frum friends who say that they would appreciate more interaction, but cannot take a chance on engaging in it because of what their community might think. Should I add that some of them have held pulpits of been Roshei Yeshiva.

Politics, politics, Jewish politics. Don'tcha just love them.

The point of this little comment is simple. We need to do a better job of working together and not against each other. We are a small group among many, no sense pulling in different directions, at least not on everything.

8 comments:

Chaim said...

well said, well written

Lyss said...

Well worded. It is too bad that people cannot respect the religious choices of others. After all, I don't walk around asking why Christian friends and
(step)family why they believe in Christ. And they don't question me as to why I don't. So why must Jews do this kind of thing to each other?

Anshel's Wife said...

Although most people out there probably don't believe me, I agree with you 100%. I've been on both sides of this issue. But are you talking about just the general animosity or do you have something in mind? Like discussion groups or something like that? I'm just curious if you are commenting on this issue or if you have some ideas or suggestions on how to resolve these issues? 'Cause, if you do, I'd love to hear them. As you know, I struggle with this very problem.

Stacey said...

You are right, Jack. We are all truly part of the same family. (Hitler certainly didn't make any distinctions between us).

We all have our individual comfort zones and logic dictates that what's right for one isn't necessarily right for someone else. Respect is so important.

Jack Steiner said...

It doesn't have to be anything radical. Some of it can be as simple as working together on some kind of tzedakah project.

Anshel's Wife said...

Like Habitat for Humanity? That would be a sight! So, are you going to try to get something started? You have a every group you are talking about in LA. I think it sounds good, what you are talking about. I hope you do do something. From reading your blog for quite awhile, I know this is an issue for you. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

All the congregations work together in Austin on tzedakah and community projects. Happens here all the time. There aren't enough of us to divide up and still be effective.

Jack Steiner said...

There are some projects that are being worked upon now, but they are rather small. I'd like to see this expand and open up further, not just because it is a small community.

That is not a knock against small communities, but for this to be effective the larger communities have to be part of it.