Monday, September 05, 2005

Secret Lives

One of the most interesting aspects of the blogosphere is the opportunity to learn more about people that you might not otherwise encounter. From a Jewish perspective I find the look inside some of the more frum among us to be very interesting.

Some of the blogs that have caught eye for a moment or two include A Hasid and a Heretic and Hasidic Rebel. There are others that interest me.

I wonder how many people are truly satisfied and how many have serious doubts that are strong enough to make them stray. It is not always so easy to attend to certain paths.

5 comments:

elf's DH said...

For those of us not in the all-or-nothing camp, being "truly satisfied" and "having serious doubts" may not be mutual opposites. From my perspective, I wonder if serious (or even not so serious) doubts are less likely to make liberals (used for lack of a better term) stray.

Jack Steiner said...

I can agree with that.

... Is the Window to Our Soul said...

I feel the same way as you, Jack, with regards to reading their blogs (though I hadn't heard of Hasidic Rebel.) I am not sure exactly why it is, but I just find it fascinating reading their blogs. I guess it's because their world is so different from mine, but within themselves, it's a whole different story.

PsychoToddler said...

There are a lot of forces at work with these people that keep them locked in their closets. Societal pressure, marriage, kids, guilt, etc.

Sometimes it's easier to keep up the facade than to risk losing everything.

Jack Steiner said...

Secret lives have their own challenges.